What is the definition of a gentleman? A man who’s polite and dresses well? A man who knows how to carry himself and how to behave?
Maybe all of the above.
A true gentleman is revealed not only by his manners and his outfit, but through his actions. Here are 75 things a gentleman does differently:
BONUS: Download the Free Checklist of 75 Things a Gentleman Does Differently
1. A gentleman always challenges himself to do better.
2. A gentleman keeps his mouth shut when it’s time to listen.
3. A gentleman will help you push your car when it breaks down.
A gentleman does the right thing when no one is looking.”
5. A gentleman reads about the lives of great men and takes their lessons to heart.
6. A gentleman takes a breath before speaking when he’s upset.
7. A gentleman is comfortable wearing a shiny new tux…with a cocktail in his hand.
8. A gentleman is comfortable wearing jeans and a white t-shirt…with a hammer in his hand.
A gentleman may not always agree with others, but he respects their opinions.”
10. A gentleman looks strangers in the eye and says hello.
11. A gentleman knows by touch when his steak is perfectly cooked.
12. A gentleman knows his lady’s favorite drink.
A gentleman may be overdressed, but he is never underdressed.”
14. A gentleman recognizes when he’s reached his breaking point, and then goes further.
15. A gentleman lets his significant other monopolize the remote control.
16. A gentleman listens to the advice of older, wiser men.
17. A gentleman treats waiters and bartenders with respect.
A gentleman has both a signature scent and a signature drink.”
19. A gentleman recognizes that the more he learns, the more he still doesn’t know.
20. A gentleman can gracefully tolerate his family during the holidays…for at least 72 hours.
21. A gentleman doesn’t mind sitting in the “way back” when the car is full.
22. A gentleman knows how to count back change.
A gentleman doesn’t conduct a cost/benefit analysis when deciding how to act—he does the right thing, because it’s the right thing.”
24. A gentleman opens the door for a lady…or a man, if he gets there first.
25. A gentleman knows at least a few Latin root words.
26. A gentleman votes.
27. A gentleman gives back to his community.
A gentleman knows a soft-spoken word speaks the loudest.”
29. A gentleman makes shaving a ritual.
30. A gentleman has a hobby he’s passionate about.
31. A gentleman chats up people in line at the DMV or post office to make them smile.
32. A gentleman has a team he can root for even if he doesn’t love sports.
A gentleman understands that the term consists of equal parts “gentle” and “man” and doesn’t allow one aspect to supersede the other.”
34. A gentleman flosses.
35. A gentleman knows how to mix a perfect martini.
36. A gentleman breaks in his own leather shoes rather than buying ones with fake distress.
37. A gentleman doesn’t have a cute ringtone.
38. A gentleman excuses himself to have a phone conversation.
On matters of style, a gentleman knows which rules to follow and which ones to bend (or break).”
40. A gentleman never shows up at a party empty handed.
41. A gentleman never leaves a party without thanking the host.
42. A gentleman is wicked-good at making s’mores.
43. A gentleman enjoys sleeping out under the stars.
44. A gentleman admits when he’s wrong.
A gentleman knows the right thing to do is rarely the easiest thing to do.”
46. A gentleman has real-life heroes he looks up to.
47. A gentleman is not afraid of public transportation.
48. A gentleman jots down random thoughts in a well-worn notebook.
49. A gentleman always looks for ways to improve himself.
50. A gentleman knows how to count to 10, say “please” and “thank you,” and “beer” in any country he visits.
A gentleman never puts others down in order to build himself up.”
52. A gentleman walks with purpose.
53. A gentleman skinnydips in cold lakes.
54. A gentleman takes a stance on things he believes in.
55. A gentleman can have a spirited discussion without it turning into an argument.
57. A gentleman takes care of things he owns and fixes them when they break.
58. A gentleman realizes that as good as he gets at something there’s always someone better.
59. A gentleman buys a round for his friends at the bar.
60. A gentleman isn’t afraid to take a chance and ask a woman out.
A gentleman knows how to make a solid breakfast, even if he can’t ‘cook’.”
62. A gentleman cries at the end of Field of Dreams when Ray and his dad have a catch.
63. A gentleman isn’t embarrassed when his significant other drags him to chick flicks.
64. A gentleman knows the difference between rare and medium rare.
65. A gentleman is vigilant about keeping his environment tidy…along with his body hair.
A gentleman lifts up those around him, never keeps them down.”
67. A gentleman makes a mean chili.
68. A gentleman knows how to read a map.
69. A gentleman knows how to order a bottle of wine.
70. A gentlemen recognizes that little “failures” can often put him closer to big successes.
A gentleman is a man of character and not of reputation.”
72. A gentleman can be assertive without being a dick.
73. A gentleman keeps his cool even in stressful situations.
74. A gentleman is willing to take the blame, but also shares the credit.
A gentleman always leaves everyone better than he found them.”
Got something to add? Leave a comment below!