All of us want to land that dream opportunity or dream job. You know, the one that makes you feel like a rock star when you answer that question “what do you do?” But if you don’t have the right connections or exactly the right experience, sometimes it can feel nearly impossible to get where you want to go.
In today’s episode, Austin Belcak shares his unorthodox approach for how you can stand out from the pack and land your dream job. Austin and I discuss why the deck is stacked against the traditional job applicant, how you can create opportunities for yourself even if a company isn’t hiring, the art and science of cold outreach, and much more.
Austin is the founder of Cultivated Culture, where he teaches people how to use unconventional strategies to land jobs they love in today’s market—without connections, without traditional “experience,” and without applying online.
Austin’s strategies have been featured in Forbes, Business Insider, Fast Company, Inc, and more. He’s grown his community to over 10,000 job seekers who have leveraged his advice to land job offers at Google, Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Microsoft , Twitter, Goldman Sachs, ESPN, and more.
Go out and find people who have already done what you want to do and find out how they did it.”
- Why the job search (and hiring) process is broken
- Take advice from people who already have what you want
- How to track down connections that could be potential referrals
- The magic of the “Quick question” subject line
- How to warm up a referral when you connect with them
- What to ask a new connection
- Why you should play the long game with your relationships
- How to set yourself apart from the competition and get an edge even before your interview
- How to demonstrate your value even before you have the job
- Why cold outreach can be such a powerful tool
Don’t be afraid to step outside of the box that everyone else is living in…find creative ways to demonstrate your value.”
- “How to Get a Job Anywhere With No Connections” (blog post)
- Hubspot Email Tracker
- 5 Most Effective Job Hunting Strategies (Cultivated Culture)
Connect With Austin
Weekly Inspiration on How to Become a Better Man
Get our latest posts delivered right to your inbox.