Our minds are always at work, with thoughts constantly running through our heads. While sometimes it feels like we have no control, in reality, we have the choice of whether those thoughts are positive or negative.
Today on the podcast, we talk with Gary John Bishop about how to recognize self-limiting thought patterns so you can get on with your life and achieve your true potential.
Your life is going the way that you’re going. Nothing is happening to you.”
Gary John Bishop
Gary is the author of Unfu*k Yourself: Get Out of Your Head and Into Your Life. He is one of the leading personal development experts in the industry and has impacted tens of thousands of people worldwide with his no-nonsense “urban philosophy” approach.
Gary describes his book as “a conversational slap from the universe to wake you up to your true potential, unfuck yourself, and get spectacularly into your life.” And I have to agree with that statement. I first heard about this book from a past guest, Larry Hagner of The Good Dad Project, and when I read it, I found myself very moved by some of the insights Gary shares—and his completely refreshing and no-nonsense take on how to get out of your head and basically get out of your own way.
In this episode, Gary and I talk about why most self-help strategies and positive affirmations don’t work, how you can authentically change your inner dialog to create momentum in your life, why you need to take a hard look at whether you are truly willing to achieve your goals, and much more. Gary has a lot of wisdom to share, and of course it doesn’t hurt that he does it in a Scottish accent.
- Assertive vs narrative self-talk
- Why affirmations don’t work
- Why being “willing” is powerful, and how leveraging unwillingness can be equally powerful
- Being real with yourself about whether your actions are really aligned with your goals
- Why you are currently “winning” in many areas of your life without realizing it
- It’s great to pursue huge dreams, but not when you’re trying to fix something about yourself
- Why human beings are hard-wired to pursue, and why so many desires are insatiable
- Stop trying to think more positively before you take action
- The importance of honoring promises to yourself
Your life only ever changes in the paradigm of action.”
Connect With Gary John Bishop
If you’re enjoying the podcast, please consider rating and reviewing the show on iTunes. Thank you!
Weekly Inspiration on How to Become a Better Man
Get our latest posts delivered right to your inbox.