This episode is brought to you by Focus Pointe Global, a trusted marketing research company. Focus Pointe Global is looking for men who are interested in getting paid to share their opinions about a variety of manly (and gentlemanly) topics—from shaving to alcoholic beverages to health, and many other subjects. Learn more.
Meditation has often gotten a bad rap for being too “woo woo.” But as new research continues to confirm the benefits of meditation, more people are starting to realize the impact that it can have on their everyday lives. On top of that, many so-called “high-performers” credit meditation as one of the most important habits for achieving their goals.
We often think we are our thoughts; with meditation, we start to realize that we have thoughts but we aren’t our thoughts.”
Today on the podcast, we talk with Justyn Comer about how the practice of meditation can affect all aspects of your life.
Justyn has been practicing meditation for over 30 years and teaching since 1999. He is a co-founder of RWM Education, Inc., a non-profit organization dedicated to making meditation available to as many people as possible.
In this episode, Justyn and I discuss his new book, Meditation for Life: How mind training improves relationships, career, health and happiness. I know, it almost sounds like an overpromise. I’ve read a lot about meditation in the last few years, and the more I read the more I wonder: what doesn’t it help with? So much so that I had to ask Justyn that same question. Not surprisingly, his answer was a good one.
- What meditation is not
- Meditation is often pigeonholed as being just about stress relief or spirituality, but it’s much more than that
- How Justyn finally tried meditation after suffering from panic attacks
- Awareness training: how to be aware of the present moment, seeing the world as it is
- Compassion training: building up the “compassion muscle,” and the critical importance of self-compassion
- How meditation can help train you how to focus more effectively
- How meditation can improve your relationship by making you a better listener
- The importance of developing your curiosity so you can focus more on the present moment
- The often overlooked limitations of meditation
- Meditation for Life: How mind training improves relationships, career, health and happiness
- Real World Meditation 12-Week Course
- Headspace App
- Calm App
- 10% Happier App
Connect With Justyn Comer
Weekly Inspiration on How to Become a Better Man
Get our latest posts delivered right to your inbox.