Some stats say that seventy percent of Americans aren’t passionate about the work they do.
And there are a lot of people on the internet selling the dream of “quit your day job and pursue your passion.” But sometimes the actual steps to get there are a little fuzzy. Even with conventional career searches, there’s a lot of bad advice out there.
My guest today, Ken Coleman has created a proven framework that gives you a specific roadmap for how to get closer to doing the work you love. In this episode, Ken breaks down the components of this strategy, which he calls the Proximity Principle. We get into the specific types of People, Places, and Practices that you need to focus on in order to make real progress towards landing your dream job.
In order to do what you want to do, you’ve got to be around people that are doing it, in places where it’s happening.”
Ken Coleman is a career expert and national radio host of The Ken Coleman Show. Pulling from his own personal struggles, missed opportunities and career successes, Coleman helps people discover what they were born to do and provides practical steps to make their dream job a reality. The Ken Coleman Show is a caller-driven career show that helps listeners who are stuck in a job they hate or searching for something more out of their career. In this episode, we talk aboutKen’s latest book, The Proximity Principle: The Proven Strategy That Will Lead to The Career You Love.
- Why fear, doubt, and pride keep us stuck in jobs we hate
- How to find your career path when you don’t know where to start
- The 5 people archetypes you need to engage on your journey—professors, professionals, producers, mentors and peers
- The 5 places you need to leverage to further your career
- How you can learn from professionals you’ll never met
- “There is no next if you don’t win in the now”
- Getting in proximity of our dream job helps clarify whether you’re on the right path
- Know your role, accept your role, and maximize your role
- The Proximity Principle: The Proven Strategy That Will Lead to The Career You Love
- The Ken Coleman Show
- The Dave Ramsey Show