Some people think etiquette and manners are a thing of the past, old stodgy rules for rules’ sake. But that couldn’t be further from the truth.
On today’s episode, Lizzie Post talks about why the fundamental principles of etiquette are just as important today as ever. Lizzie and I talk about the intersection between technology and etiquette, what chivalry looks like in the 21st century, and why simply being kind and having good manners is still one of the best ways to get ahead in life.
Lizzie Post is a great-great-granddaughter of Emily Post, who many of us consider one of the godmothers of modern etiquette. Lizzie is the co-author of Emily Post’s Etiquette, 18th and 19th editions, Emily Post’s Wedding Etiquette, 6th edition, and The Etiquette Advantage in Business, 3rd edition. Lizzie does speaking engagements across the country sharing advice about entertaining, weddings, dating, tech-etiquette, finance and lifestyle. She has worked as a spokesperson for many companies, including Airbnb, Bank of America, and American Express Platinum.
Together with her cousin Dan Post Senning, Lizzie co-hosts the Awesome Etiquette Podcast and also produces The Emily Post Institute’s E-Learning program and the Etiquette Bites video series. Lizzie was a real joy to talk to, and I found her modern take on classic etiquette to be extremely refreshing.
- The human element of etiquette
- How to gracefully exit from a conversation with someone you disagree with
- The biggest etiquette faux pas that gets under Lizzie’s skin
- Unique etiquette challenges in the age of social media
- The key to being chivalrous without being sexist: ask, don’t assume
- Who should pick up the check?
- Lizzie’s earliest (traumatic) memory of realizing she was “a Post”
- The Emily Post Institute
- Emily Post’s Etiquette
- Emily Post’s Wedding Etiquette
- The Etiquette Advantage in Business
- Awesome Etiquette Podcast
- The Emily Post Institute E-Learning Program
- Etiquette Bites Video Series