Lathering up with a shave brush and shaving with an old school safety razor seems like a quintessential ritual for the modern man. But for guys who’ve used cartridge razors or electric razors their whole lives, traditional wet shaving can seem a little mysterious.
What gear do I need? What’s the proper technique? How do I not cut the hell out of my face? Where do I even start?
In this episode, shaving expert Mantic59 breaks down everything you need to know about wet shaving, including: what razors to buy, the difference between shave cream, shave soap, and all those other confusing products; how to start using proper technique for a close shave that doesn’t irritate your face. Plus, he takes us behind the scenes to talk about his own shaving routine, along with sharing the story of how he first caught the “bug” with wet shaving.
Mark Herro (aka Mantic59)
Mark Herro, better known online as “Mantic59,” has been an advocate for old-school shaving for over 10 years, teaching thousands of men how to shave properly. He lives in Texas with his wife, 76 razors, 43 shave brushes, hundreds of shave creams and soaps…and four cats.
I’ve known Mark for a few years and have always appreciated his channel, Sharpologist, so this was a real treat.
- What your father didn’t teach you about shaving
- The meditative aspect of traditional shaving
- Mark’s current shaving routine
- Shave cream vs shaving soap
- The little known benefits of a shave brush
- Why more blades are rarely better
- The simple trick for extending the life of your shaving cream
- How often you should replace your razor blade
- Why an old school safety razor can give you a better shaving experience than a “modern” cartridge razor
- Cremo Shave Cream
- Pacific Shaving Caffeinated Shaving Cream
- Gillette Pure Shave Cream and Shave Gel
- Geo F. Trumper Shave Cream
- Truefitt & Hill Shave Cream
- Taylor of Old Bond Street Shave Cream
- The Art of Shaving
- Proraso Shave Cream
- C.O. Bigelow Shave Cream
- Razor blade sampler pack
- The Ten Minute Traditional Wet Shave (Video)
- How to Use an Adjustible Safety Razor (Video)