Everybody wants to be paid more money at work, yet so many people approach asking for a raise the wrong way. If you don’t understand the nuance of how to negotiate with your boss—or if you just don’t deserve an increase—asking for more money can often hurt your relationship…and your career prospects.
In this video, I share 10 tips for how to make the conversation with your boss go more smoothly. I used these same techniques to ask for (and get) multiple raises back when I worked in advertising.
- The first and single most critical thing you need in order to get a raise
- What can happen if you use the wrong approach
- Why asking for a specific dollar amount gives you a better chance of getting a raise
- How to find information that gives you more leverage negotiating a higher salary
- Why timing is important on both a macro and a micro level
- How you can get creative when it comes to “compensation”
- Why threatening to quit is never the right way to get more money, even if it “works”
- And more…
After you’ve watched the video, let me know what you think. Have you ever asked your boss for more money? How did it go?