A lot of guys are comfortable manning the grill, but when it comes whipping up something in the kitchen, suddenly they feel like a fish out of water.
On today’s episode, Steven Raichlen talks about why every man should know how to cook. Steven and I talk about the fundamental recipes you should master, the essential gear you need to own, and Steven’s various culinary adventures, including his upset of Iron Chef Michiba in Japan.
Hey gents, I’ve got a really special episode for you today. Steven Raichlen is an author, journalist, lecturer and TV host. His 30 books include The Barbecue! Bible, How to Grill, Planet Barbecue!, and Man Made Meals, among many others. His books have won numerous James Beard Awards and IACP-Julia Child Awards and have been translated into 17 different languages.
Steven is also the host of popular PBS TV shows Steven Raichlen’s Project Smoke, Primal Grill, and Barbecue University, and he also stars in two French-language cooking shows. I could go on and on, but suffice to say that Steven knows a little bit about cooking and barbecue. I have personally worn out my copy of The Barbecue! Bible over the years, so this conversation with Steven was a real treat for me.
- “If you can feed the tribe, you can lead the tribe”
- Why women are attracted to men who can handle themselves in the kitchen
- Showmanship: when men cook it’s an event
- Blow Torch Oatmeal, Anchovy Hot tub, and other fun recipes
- Essential gear and cooking techniques every man should know
- How to practice what Steven calls “simple connoisseurship”
- The biggest mistakes men make while grilling
- Why a degree in French literature sparked Steven’s interest in the intersection between food, culture, and history
- How Steven beat Iron Chef Michiba in Japan
- The part of the world where Steven would most like to live for the food
- Man Made Meals
- The Barbecue! Bible
- Planet Barbecue!
- Project Smoke (book)
- Fortitude (series)
- Big Night (movie)
- Project Smoke (TV show)
- Project Fire (expected May 2018)
- Island Apart
- Barbecue University
Connect With Steven Raichlen
Weekly Inspiration on How to Become a Better Man
Get our latest posts delivered right to your inbox.