As men, sometimes it’s easy for us to glorify the idea of independence. Making our own way with no help from anyone. But the truth is, most people you look up to—whatever their field, whatever their accomplishments—probably made it because they had help or advice from people who’d been there before.
On today’s episode, my guest Ryan Michler and I talk about the importance of mentorship. We talk about how to find the right mentor, how to approach a potential mentor, and Ryan also shares his experience working with coaches, plus his own role as mentor to other men.
Guys, I’m really excited to bring you today’s guest. He’s friend of mine, and frankly, has one of the most terrific beards you’ll ever see. Ryan Michler is the founder of Order of Man, an online community dedicated to helping guys live with purpose, achieve self-mastery, and become better leaders.
It’s been amazing to watch the growth of his channel over the last few years. He has a top-rated podcast, he’s built one of the most impressive private Facebook groups with upwards of 30,000 members, and he also leads an exclusive men’s brotherhood called the Iron Council. I really enjoyed our conversation about mentorship, and I think you will too.
- Why the idea of being the “lone wolf” is so attractive
- How a mentor can reduce your learning curve and create exponential growth in your life
- The levels of mentorship, and the difference between direct and indirect mentorship
- How to evaluate whether you’re ready for a mentor
- The 4-step assessment Ryan recommends for zeroing in on what you need from a mentor
- How to find and approach a potential mentor
- Why having a mentor helps elevate your level of thinking
- How to create a “win/win” relationship with a potential mentor
- Why Mister Miyagi made Daniel “wax on, wax off” and paint the fence
- Of Beards and Men
- Blue Ocean Strategy
- Menfluential (formerly StyleCon)
- 17 Sites Every Guy Should Know About
- Gentleman’s Gazette
- The Definitive Guide to Podcasts for Men
- Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink and Lief Babin
- Aubry Marcus| Onnit