I have a confession to make: I am terrified of cologne. Mostly it’s because I just don’t know enough about it. And that’s why I decided to reach out to today’s guest. In this episode, Dave Johnson and I talk about everything you need to know about men’s fragrance. Dave shares tips on why you should wear cologne, why every man needs 3 distinct fragrances, how you can use fragrance to hack your memories, and much more.
Dave Johnson is the founder of Fragrance Bros, where he helps teach people about fragrances by providing thoughtful reviews and advice about how to smell your best.
I learned a lot from the interview, and I think you’ll enjoy it as well.
- How Dave’s journey with cologne started
- Cologne can be a great conversation starter
- How to purposefully create “scent memories” around special occasions
- 3 types of fragrances every man should own
- Using a unique fragrance to create that “record scratch” moment
- Cultural differences about application of fragrances
- The best way to test out a fragrance
- Fragrances react differently on different people based on their body heat
- The “scent pyramid” and understanding the structure of a fragrance
- How to avoid cologne competing with other scented products you wear
- Dave’s recommendations for the best “starter” colognes
- Siskel & Ebert
- Nautica Competiton
- Acqua Di Gio by Armani
- Original Santal by Creed
- Un Jardin Sur Le Nil by Hermez
- A City on Fire by Imaginary Authors
- Nautica Voyage
- L’Homme by Yves Saint Laurent
- La Nuit De L’Homme by Yves Saint Laurent