As men, there are a lot of false ideals that, if we believe them, can sometimes trip us up. One of the big myths is that men need to go it alone—to make it on their own, with no help from anyone.
Don’t get me wrong, self-reliance and the ability to look out for yourself is a noble thing. But the truth is, no man is going to reach his full potential without surrounding himself with other men who are also trying to better themselves—guys who can support him, challenge him, help him grow.
In today’s episode, I chat with Mike Yarbrough about why every guy needs a community of men. Mike shares his story of how he began helping other men “heed the high call” in their lives. We also delve into that famous proverb, “Iron sharpens iron”, and why it’s not as simple as most men think. We talk about why cultivating the right friendships and support system is critical, why every man needs to be tested and embrace challenge, the secrets of a healthy marriage, and much more.
You have a role as a man to the other men in your life, and that is to be the iron in their life.”
Having spent his formative years on the banks of the Hatchie river in the small town of Mercer, TN, Mike Yarbrough yearns for the hardihood and old-school wisdom so common in generations past. He is the founder of Wolf & Iron and has a passion for helping men heed the High Call on their lives.
I had a chance to meet Mike recently, and I’m a huge fan of him and his channel. There’s just such an authenticity and wisdom and warmth in everything he shares.
When you get guys to open up where the real battle is taking place, now you’ve got guys that are forming real relationships.”
- The importance of surrounding yourself with high-caliber men
- Heeding the high call: what it feels like and what it can mean for your life
- The importance of being tested and getting feedback from your community
- Reading the fine print about “iron sharpens iron”
- Why there is strength in vulnerability and authenticity
- How to recognize and focus on the real battles in your friends’ lives
- The importance of finding male friends you can truly connect with
- The secret to a lasting marriage
- Doing the work of “making love” [exist] in your relationship
- Why you should trust your faults
- Lone Survivor
- Wolf and Iron, the book (no relation)
- Peter Cullen on how he created the voice for Optimus Prime (video)
- Wolf & Iron podcast with Jordan Harbinger
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
- Rustic & Main
- The Side Hustle Switch